Without data, you're just another person with an opinion.
AboutJesse Fulton is originally from the Northeastern corner of the bluegrass state along the Ohio river in Lewis County, KY.
After completing his bachelor’s in animal science at Morehead State University, Jesse went on to pursue his master's in animal science with a focus in meat science at South Dakota State University.
Some of Jesse’s research included the effect of copper and zinc source on pre-weaning performance of cows, health and performance of suckling calves, and post-weaning feedlot performance, carcass composition and meat quality of calves.
Upon completing his master’s, Jesse served the Director of Producer Education with the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association in Denver, CO for five years. During his time at NCBA, he managed the National Cattlemen’s College program, the 2016 National Beef Quality Audit, and assisted with National Beef Quality Assurance and National Stockmanship & Stewardship programming. In October of 2020 he married his wife Brittany (Schaneman) Fulton, and they relocated to Brittany’s hometown of Scottsbluff, NE. They welcomed their first-born child Olivia Lynn in January of 2022.
Since November 2020, Jesse has been serving as a Nebraska Beef Systems Extension Educator and the Director of Nebraska Beef Quality Assurance with the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- Master's of Animal Science - South Dakota State University
- Bachelor's of Animal Science - Morehead State University
Professional Responsibilities and Activities
- Beef Quality Assurance (BQA)
- BQA Assessments & Feedyard Auditing
- Cattle Handling & Transportation
- Cattle and Sheep Handling Facility Design
- Meat Science & Meat Quality
- D L VanOverbeke, J. Fulton; 68 National Beef Quality Audit - 2016., Journal of Animal Science, Volume 96, Issue suppl_2, 10 April 2018, Pages 35–36, https://doi.org/10.1093/jas/sky073.066
- Kerns, K. N., J. O. Fulton, K. R. Underwood, A. D. Blair, and S. M. S. Zuelly, Determining the relationship between pH and instrumental color measurements to predict water-holding and sensory juiciness. 68th Reciprocal Meat Conference, 2015. Lincoln, Nebraska.
- Fulton, J. O., K.N. Kerns, A.A. Harty, J.J. Kincheloe, M.K. Luebbe, K.C. Olson, K.R. Underwood1, S. M. S. Zuelly, A.D. Blair. Effects of zilpaterol hydrochloride supplementation on carcass characteristics and meat quality characteristics of steers differing in breed type. 68th Reciprocal Meat Conference, 2015. Lincoln, Nebraska.
- Fulton, J. O., K.C. Olson, J.J. Kincheloe, A.A. Harty, M.K. Luebbe, K.R. Underwood, S.M. Scramlin and A.D. Blair. Effects of zilpaterol hydrochloride supplementation on growth performance, carcass characteristics and production economics of steers differing in breed composition. 2015 South Dakota State University Beef Report, p 46-52.
- Fulton, J. O., K.C. Olson, J.J. Kincheloe, A.A. Harty, M.K. Luebbe, K.R. Underwood, S.M. Scramlin and A.D. Blair. Effects of zilpaterol hydrochloride supplementation on growth performance, carcass characteristics and production economics of steers differing in biological type. 2014. Proceedings, Western Section, American Society of Animal Science, Vol 65, p 188-191.
Reffereed Journal Articles:
- Elaine Calaba, Michaela Clowser, Zachary D Weller, Libby Bigler, Jesse Fulton, Lily N Edwards-Callaway, Benchmarking animal handling outcomes on cow-calf operations and identifying associated factors. Translational Animal Science, 2022. txac106, https://doi.org/10.1093/tas/txac106
- Fulton, Jesse; The Effect of Copper and Zinc Source on Pre-Weaning Performance of Cows, Health and Performance of Suckling Calves, and Post-Weaning Feedlot Performance, Carcass Composition, and Meat Quality of Calves. 2016. Electronic Theses and Dissertations. 989. https://openprairie.sdstate.edu/etd/989
- Nebraska Beef Council Authorization Request FY 22 – 23; Nebraska Beef Quality Assurance – $25,000.
- Nebraska Beef Council Authorization Request FY 21 – 22; Nebraska Beef Quality Assurance – $25,000.
- Nebraska Beef Council Authorization Request FY 20 – 21; Nebraska Beef Quality Assurance – $25,000.
Awards and Honors
- Nominator of 2022 National Beef Quality Assurance Educator of the Year Award – Deb VanOverbeke.
- Nominator of 2022 National Beef Quality Assurance Marketer of the Year Award – Carpenter Trucking.