In 1909, the University of Nebraska Experiment Station and the USDA jointly homesteaded a quarter section of land five miles east of Mitchell, NE. Initial research was in the area of crop production under gravity irrigation. Studies in sheep, swine, dairy, and beef production, in addition to many other crop areas, soon followed. The 800-acre Experimental Range in Sioux County was deeded to the University of Nebraska by President Woodrow Wilson in 1918. Satellite agricultural laboratories at Alliance (since closed) and Sidney, NE, were added in 1967.
The headquarters of the Panhandle Station moved to the former Hiram Scott College campus after the state had acquired the property after the school closed in the early 1970s. The headquarters and surrounding research plots are located just north of the city of Scottsbluff. To reflect the University's involvement throughout the Panhandle, the name was officially changed to the Panhandle Research and Extension Center in 1985.
County-based Extension Offices in western Nebraska
The Panhandle Center works hand-in-hand with county-based offices to share research-based information with residents of western Nebraska:
Box Butte County
415 Black Hills Street, Alliance, NE 69301
Box 356, Sidney, NE 69162
250 Main St., Suite 8, Chadron, NE 69337
Box 645, Chappell, NE 69129
Box 350, Oshkosh, NE 69154
209 E. Third, Kimball, NE 69145