We believe in the power of every person.
- BS, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, 1984
- MS, University of Puerto Rico, 1996
- Ph.D. in plant breeding and genetics, with a minor in statistics, from North Dakota State University, 2000
Professional Responsibilities and Activities
- Breeding of dry bean varieties to select plants that are resistant to rust, white mold, common bacteria blight, and root rots; that have desirable qualities related to water efficiency and minimum tillage systems; and that have a more upright architecture, allowing direct harvesting.
- Srinivasan, G., C.A. Urrea, H. Cordova, K. Pixley, S. Castellanos, and R. Lopez. 2005. Progress through modified recurrent selection in two intermediate-maturity, white-grained, subtropical maize populations developed at CIMMYT. Maydica (submitted).
- Urrea, C.A., R.D. Horsley, B.J. Steffenson, and P.B. Schwarz. 2005. Agronomic characteristics, malt quality, and disease resistance of Barley germplasm lines with partial Fusarium head blight resistance. Crop. Sci. (in press)
- Urrea, C.A., R.D. Horsley, and B.J. Steffenson. 2002. Heritability of Fusarium head blight resistance and deoxynivalenol accumulation from barley accession CIho 4196. Crop Sci. 42:1404-1408.
- Urrea, C.A., R.D. Horsley, B.J. Steffenson, and J.D. Franckowiak. 2002. Registration of 6NDRFG-1 six-rowed barley germplasm line with partial Fusarium head blight resistance. Crop Sci. 42:675.
- Urrea, C.A., P. Miklas, and J.S. Beaver. 1999. Inheritance of resistance to common bacterial blight in four tepary bean lines. J. Amer. Hort. Sci. 124:24-27.
- Miklas, P., V. Stone, C.A. Urrea, E. Johnson, and J.S. Beaver. 1998. Inheritance and QTL analysis of field resistance to ashy stem blight in common bean. Crop. Sci 38:916-921.
- Miklas, P., V. Stone, C.A. Urrea, and J.S. Beaver. 1997. Specific genomic regions in common bean condition resistance to multiple pathogens. HortScience 32(3):451.
- Urrea, C.A., P.N. Miklas, J .S. Beaver, and R.H. Riley. 1996. A codominant randomly amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) marker useful for indirect selection of bean golden mosaic virus resistance in common bean. J. Amer. Hort. Sci. 121(6):1035-1039.
- Singh, S.P., and C.A. Urrea. 1996. Inheritance of triangular and ovate flower bracteoles in common bean. J. Hered. 87(4):329-330.
- Singh, S.P., and C.A. Urrea. 1995. Inter- and intraracial hybridization and selection for seed yield in early generations of common bean, Phaseolus vulgaris L. Euphytica 81: 131-137
- Singh, S.P., and C.A. Urrea. 1994. Selection for seed yield and other traits among early generations of intra- and interracial populations of the common bean. Rev. Brasil. Genet. 17.3,:299-303.
- Urrea, C.A., and S.P. Singh. 1994. Comparison of mass, F2-derived family, and single-seed-descent selection methods in an interracial population of common bean. Can. J. Plant Sci. 74 :461-464.
- Singh, S.P., A. Molina, C.A. Urrea, and A. Gutierrez. 1993. Use of interracial hybridization in breeding the race Durango common bean. Can. J. Plant Sci. 73:785-793.
- Singh, S.P., C.A. Urrea, A. Molina, and A. Gutierrez. 1992. Performance of small-seeded common bean from the second selection cycle and multiple-cross-intra and interracial populations. Can. J. Plant. Sci. 72:735-741.
- Singh, S.P., J.A. Gutierrez, C.A. Urrea, A. Molina and C. Cajiao. 1992. Location-Specific and across location selection for yield in populations of common bean, Phaseolus vulgaris L. Plant Breeding 109:320-328.
- Singh, S.P., J.A. Gutierrez, A. Molina, C. Urrea, and P. Gepts. 1991. Genetic diversity in cultivated common bean: II.Marker based analysis of morphological and agronomic traits. Crop Sci. 31:23-29.
- Singh, S.P., M.A. Pastor Corrales, A. Molina, C.A. Urrea and C. Cajiao. 1991. Independent, alternate and simultaneous selection for resistance to anthracnose and angular leaf spot and effects on seed yield in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Plant Breeding 106:312-318.
- Singh, S.P., R. Lepiz, J.A. Gutierrez, C.A. Urrea, A. Molina, and H. Teran. 1990. Yield testing of early generation populations of common bean. Crop Sci. 30:874-878.
- Singh, S.P., C.A. Urrea, J.A. Gutierrez and J. Garcia. 1989. Selection for yield at two fertilizer levels in small seeded commom bean. Can J. Plant Sci. 69:1011-1017.
- Urrea, C.A., J.E.Ortega, and J.A.Escobar. 1985. Respuesta de 4 cuatro variedades de frejol (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) a niveles y fuentes de fesforo en dos profundidades de aplicacien y a deficit de agua en suelos ecidos. Acta Agronemica 35:47-60.